Kenyan women  are hot!–Emmanuel Ikubese
The name Emmanuel Ifeanyichukwu Ikubese may not ring a bell but in far away Kenya, he is a Nigerian celebrity making waves courtesy, MTV Base’s Shuga, a platform  which seeks to raise awareness about sexual responsibility among youths. Currently in Nigeria for the filming of Shuga 3, Ikubese spoke with The Entertainer, and opened up on his career and how he conquered Kenya.

Excerpts:
Why did you relocate to Kenya?
I went to Kenya to school initially. I’m a graduate of International Relations from the United States International University (USIU), Nairobi, Kenya. But while I was in school, I contested and ended up the first runner up at Mr. ISIU, a contest on campus and that was how I started modeling. That opened doors for me and I started doing my music and a lot of people were calling me for shows. I released a couple of videos in Nairobi and that’s how my career kicked off. It’s like I’ve established a big fan base in Nairobi so I decided to just stay put because coming back here would mean starting all over again.

Tell us about your music?
My music career has been wonderful. I’ve carved a niche for myself in Nairobi and East Africa. Recently, the media voted me as the hottest man in Nairobi, Kenya. For me as a Nigerian, it’s a big deal to get such recognition. I’m planning to come back to Nigeria though; this is home for me. No matter how big you’re outside, if you’ve not been able to capture the audience of your home country then you haven’t done anything yet.
How did you hook up with Shuga?
I got a call from Shuga when I was still in school in my final year. They were looking for a Nigerian with clout. I already had that so I did an audition and got the role of Femi.
What were your challenges as a green horn?
I went through a lot of challenges. Even when I was in Nigeria after secondary school, I played a lot of funny roles and did a lot of auditions but was not getting any roles. I believe it’s my time now and God has been faithful. I am walking in the right direction. This is what I’ve always wanted to do; I believe I’m on the right track.
Tell us about growing up?
I’m the first child of three kids. I grew up in a wonderful family. I was born in Ajegunle, Lagos. We later moved to Satellite Town, Lagos. Growing up was wonderful. I have always found myself in entertainment probably because my mother organized events and my younger ones and I always performed on those platforms.
What are your plans for Nollywood?
I’m gunning for a platform that would announce me in a big way to Nigerians. So I’m play a major character in an MTV show in Nigeria; it’s such a great platform. I know I would be getting a lot of calls from Nollywood after this. Yes, I’d love to be part of Nollywood. Nollywood is making Nigeria proud and I know the respect Nollywood actors have back in Nairobi and it would be an honour to be part of the Nigerian film industry; I’d love to make movies in Nigeria.

Tell us about Kenyan women:
Women in Nairobi are wonderful and beautiful. It’s been challenging because of the kind of roles I play and the kind of attention I get. One thing about the industry is that you just have to be level headed and know what your plan is, what your goal is, and that has been my drive. I know where I want to go, I know what I want to achieve so I try not to let a lot of things distract me.
Tell us about your character, Femi in Shuga?
Femi’s a very lively and entertaining fellow; I just love his character. Although in Shuga 3, his character changed a bit but it’s still the same old Femi though slightly different from the Femi of Shuga 2. It’s a bit challenging for me but I love the new role. By God’s grace I’ve been able to express that character.
Tell us about your contract with ‘Shuga’ and do you plan to do your masters degree soon?
I have a contract for Shuga 3 which we are currently recording in Nigeria. Let’s see how it goes from there. I intend to do my masters degree in film because I don’t want to be your every-day-run-of-the-mill-actor. I want to break the barrier between Nollywood and Holywood.
Now you are caught between education and acting, when do you plan to get married?
I’m a family person. I’d like to get married someday. I’m looking forward to it but right now I’m just focusing on building my career and brand. After that I could consider doing other things including marriage.

Post a Comment

 
Top